Friday, November 13, 2009

My Summary of EDM 310 Fall 2009

Clipart of red school house with a computer keyboard as part of the building
1. The first thing that I learned is that I have a lot to learn when it comes to technology. I also have come to realize that I must continue to learn even after I become a teacher in order to keep up with the fast pace of the technology. In the beginning of this class I really didn't know what to expect from the class. I had no idea what blogging was, I had no idea that so many people blogged. There are countless blog sites out there on every topic under the sun, this is an excellent way to share ideas and bring people closer together.

I learned how to put together a powerpoint presentation. I never used powerpoint before and I worried about it,it wasn't that hard after I got started. This is definitely a very useful tool that I can use in the classroom. As for Google documents I didn't really get much out of this, I realize it is free and it is good to know about because it is accessible to everyone. I have used Excel before but I needed a refresher on how to use it again. I don't know if Excel is useful for a grade book, most school systems have software programs that teachers enter grades into.

I must of been living under a rock, because I had not heard of podcasts or videocasts until we had to listen to them on iTunes. I didn't know iTunes had anything free either. iTunes University is a great tool for students, I was amazed at how many universities are already using it.I can see iTunes University growing and reaching more and more universities in the future and maybe even high schools too.

I can honestly say that I have never been on the Internet reading posts or watched as many videos as I did this semester. I can honestly say that I always felt that the Internet was full of garbage and useless information. I have come to realize that you have to really search and you can find lots of useful sites , but you have to really be careful to make sure that they are reliable.

I hope that one day that all school will offer students equal access to technology so that every student will be prepared for the future.

2. I would of liked to learn more about Smartboards, the Mobile County Public Schools have them now.
I think that it would be a good idea to introduce it in EDM 310 since we are going to be student teaching soon.

3. I can't think of anything that I didn't want to learn, I'm not a big fan of blogging although I do think that it is useful and is a good way of sharing ideas.

4. I cannot say that I got excited about anything in particular.

5. I was not intellectually challenged, I felt a little overwhelmed with all the projects in the beginning but that's about it.

6. I got a little bored listening to the podcasts from iTunes that we had to subscribe to for one of our first blog assignments. The podcasts were too technical just boring.

7. If I could change anything it would be the amount of blogging assignments we had to do, in the beginning it was OK, but it got old after a while.

8. I am not technologically literate. I would rate myself at "Some". I do know that I have a lot to learn and that I must continue to keep learning as much as I can.

9. I need to learn so much, I can start by reading and researching on the Internet. I can also learn from my peers and students. I must try new things when I become a teacher and experiment in order to learn. I definitely will go to workshops when available and search out whatever resources available to me since I know that technology is changing at a fast rate.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad to hear that you learned new techniques (technology) to use in your future classroom. I feel that one of the main points of this class is to get your comfortable with using technology and giving you the tools and confidence to see out new innovative ways to teach. It has been a pleasure having you in my class this semester.

    ReplyDelete