Wednesday, November 4, 2009

My Reaction to Michael Wesch's Video about the Future of "Whatever"

A drawing of a rainbow and a cloud under it it says I Don't Care OK
This video made so many points that I had to back it up and watch some parts over again. I was really amazed at the idea that media is controlling how we communicate and it has become a language.The new media is disengaging us from people instead of bringing us together. I agree, I use to work in a department store and I hated it when customers came in and talked on their phone the entire time I waited on them, they didn't talk to me they pointed and spoke very little. I see this a lot everywhere I go, people walk around talking or texting and they are not paying attention to the person who they are with. I am an older college student and I have noticed that a lot of college age students can't put their phones down to listen to a professor for an hour. The use of the word "whatever" is indicative of the attitude of people, I don't care and new media is a reflection of that too.

Nowadays you can get on your computer and write e-mails, blogs and say things that you would not dare say to a persons face.Typing on a computer or looking into a web cam is not the same experience as looking into someones face and speaking. I am sure that there are millions of people who have sent a message or written things that they wish that they could take back, but once you send it its gone and there is no turning back. This type of communication can be edited and changed to give a false impression. I think as a teacher it is a good idea to talk about all of these things with students so that they will think about what they are engaging in. I think that it is important to let the students know that communication is a shared experience and that the new media is not always a shared experience.

I do think that people are all looking for someone to connect with , but at the same time they are not connecting they are disengaging instead. the new media is disconnecting us from the ones we are closest to.

1 comment:

  1. Good job. I really liked your reflection and thoughts. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete