Friday, September 25, 2009

Is Wikipedia Reliable ???

picture of a white globe puzzle with missing peices, the puzzle peices have letters on them
I never really knew what Wikipedia was for a long time;I saw it everytime I Googled for information. One of my professors here at the University of South Alabama told us not to use it as a reference for anything because anybody can get on it and add information . After I read the article on NPR website I remembered what my old professor had told us about people getting on Wikipedia and making changes. I'm glad that Virgil Griffith came up with a Wikipedia Scanner to trace the people responsible for editing information. I really liked that he revealed Walmart, Diebold and Dow Chemical for erasing information about their corporations. This seems like a violation of rights ; and their freedom of speech is being violated by eliminating their entries because they want to cover up things that will make them look bad. Diebold was the one I was most concerned with; the idea that a company that makes voting machines is making financial contributions to a presidential candidate and that they erased this information from Wikipedia is appalling.


I definitely do not think that Wikipedia is to be trusted, especially after reading the NPR blog and listening to NPR podcast. I would hope that the Wikipedia Scanner prevents others from editing entries, but I believe that a lot of corporation will just find another way to get around it ; in order to protect their reputations.

1 comment:

  1. Excellent review Ruth. In my opinion, Google Scholar and the library's databases are your best source of reliable research information.

    ReplyDelete