Sunday, October 18, 2009

My Personal Learning Network

people laying on the grass holding hands
As a prospective teacher I have learned that there are numerous resources that I can take advantage of . I have learned a lot in my education classes at USA and my professors have been very helpful when it comes to providing us with resources. In my EDM 310 class I have found that there are numerous resources on the Internet that I can use.

Facebook

I have been a member of Facebook for about 6 months. I worked as a paraprofessional for the Mobile County School System and I have become friends with several teacher and school staff. I was first introduced to Facebook by a Special Education teacher that I worked with at ER Dickson Elementary School. I am no longer employed with MCPSS so Facebook is a great way for me to stay in touch with my former coworkers at the school system and keep up with what is going on in the schools today. I have also become Facebook friends with several of my classmates and a few professors at USA. I feel that this is a good way to stay connected with people I meet and work with.

EdTech Talk

I was first introduced to EdTech Talk while reading one of my classmates blog. EdTech Talk posts podcast that have topics about the use of technology in the classroom. I have found these podcast very interesting, often they have guests teachers and administrators discussing various uses of technology in the classroom. This site gives many good ideas and a sounding board to educators who are interesting in integrating technology in children's education. This site allows for live participation in discussions. I feel that this site can and will be useful by giving me ideas on how to integrate video, audio to the curriculum. I am an elementary education student so I will need lots of good ideas on how to prepare my young students for the future. I am following this site on my personal blog so I can keep up with the topics they are discussing.

The Future of Education

This is a community of educators I found while I was googling for ideas on how to build a PLN. This website is a PLN for educators, you can create your own page after you join you can network with other educators that are members and discuss ideas and share information. I found that there are a lot of resources within this one site. Many experienced teachers post activities that they have found to be useful in the classroom. I have commented on blogs and I intend to keep in contact with the members when I need advice in the future. This site has blogs and links to resources on the Internet that experienced teachers have posted. I signed up as a member and subscribed to a RSS feed so I can keep updated.



At The Teacher's Desk

This is a blog that I learned about through Dr Strange, he suggested this blog site on our blog assignment sheet. So I decided to take a look at it and I agree with Dr Strange that this site is another good resource for educators. There are many contributors that we learned about through our blogging assignment like Mr Mc Clung an Mr Chamberlain. I am following this blog on my personal blog and I have found the topics to be useful. This site also gives many good ideas on how to integrate technology in the classroom, like using Skype for ESL students. The contributors are all educators who have experience that I can benefit from and I like the idea that I can contact them for advice or just to give my two cents.

Art Talk Wiki

This is a Wiki created by Dr. Paige Baggett who is an art professor here at the USA. This is a Wiki that Dr Baggett created for her students and educators to use to network. Dr Baggett has discussed in class the importance of making contacts and finding resources that can helpful to us as teachers. I love art and I feel that art is very important aspect of education that is often overlooked. Art is a wonderful world that children need to explore and this Wiki is a great source of idea that is useful in facilitating the integration of art in elementary school. I hope to keep in contact with Dr Baggett in the future and continue to make more contacts in art education.

1 comment:

  1. Good job Ruth. I hope you continue to follow these sites and make more contacts as you begin teaching.

    ReplyDelete