Friday, October 9, 2009

Wendy Drexler's The Networked Students Comments

ring of people holding hands with the word YOU in the center
This little video The Networked Students was short and sweet but was packed with interesting information about organizing a Personal Learning Network(PLN). As I stated in my previous blog I find it difficult to sift through the information on the Internet to find what I really need. This video gave good ideas on how to go about it. I will use all of this information to create my own PLN for my EDM 310 class and for the future. There are so many tool that are useful on the Internet that you never have to step foot in a library or a classroom according to the video.

The video started of talking about a student that did have a book and didn't go to lecture. The student created their own PLN and used that as their curriculum with the guidance of a professor.The student never went to class they used the Internet for all the resources used to learn from. the student learns by making social connections and creating a virtual workbook of all the connections that they made about the subject they are learning about. The professors is there for guidance and feedback , the student is responsible for his own learning.

I don't know if I trust myself to find everything that I need to educate myself. In the video it suggests the use of iTunes U to find lectures, Google Scholar to find articles that are credible and find bookmarked sites that are relevant. Blogging is also mentioned as a way to share with others what they have found and to help others in their search for resources. I am working on my PLN now and I am going to try and use some of the ideas from this video. I see more an more how much is out there at all of our fingertips but if you don't know they are there it is useless.

No comments:

Post a Comment